Tuesday, February 26, 2013

26 - A Letter Home



My dear Brother,

I am writing from the moon because I seem to have a great deal of time on my hands.  Dark that sounds goddamn formal.  Sorry.  Mister Poor’s calligraphy and elocution lessons come back hard when I start a letter, even when I type.  I mean it’s not just a fountain pen or a bloody quill, like the first form had to use.

How’s the family?  You know me, crude enough to ask.  Let the priest’s jaw hit the floor; I want to know if my sister-in-law’s health continues well.

Anyway, my contract here is going to be up in six months, but I’m going crazy up here.  I’ve read everything available for my class and station a dozen times.  Just between you, me, and the button on the airlock door, brother mine, I’m tempted to see if I can get around the limitations on my access... just for something new to read.

I know, I know.  It’s against the rules, it’s against the custom, it’s so rebellious it would make Lecturer Williamson turn red at the idea I might actually presume on the decision of the Font of All Knowledge.  To be honest, Gerry, I have a unique view of the universe up here.  It’s a lot bigger than anything I’ve been told.

The stars are brighter, I have intergalactic friends who are interesting and who aren’t shocked if I show knowledge outside my class.  I want to know more.  I mean, the ceo is already in breach of my contract.  This ‘temporary maintenance shutdown’ isn’t.  Either for maintenance nor its temporary-ness.  My great-great-great granddad swore away any higher learning for our family... for our ancestral manor and lands.... I mean you could do better than 2nd class but there’s only one social rung higher, aside from the Font Himself... him and his family... and his bodyguards.

I’m sorry.  I shouldn’t rock the boat like this.  You’re in line to inherit and have to be careful with your family and your children, so make sure they don’t see their wild and out of this world uncle’s subversive words.  It’s the frustration talking... and the loneliness.

I’m lonely up here, with not one co-worker to keep me company.  One shift.  Then nothing.  One.  How on Chishiki are we going to get enough water down there to one day have oceans, if we quit now?

Sorry.

How is the season going?  Have you won many races with your new line of horses?  That gene line from offplanet are fast and flashy, aren’t they?  I bet that birds would be faster... perhaps one year at Monteth you should stage an exhibition race... if you can keep the birds from eating the horses that is!

I’ll be home soon.  I’ll finish my work here and then come down to be the dutiful younger son for the family.

My felicitations to everyone, Mama included even though Father would huff at that.  Take care of yourself.
 
Terry

2 comments:

  1. He sounds like somebody who would be fun to get to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! Terry introduced himself after the moon garage scene... wait for it! I don't think you'll like big brother...

      Delete