Wednesday, June 27, 2012

54 - I'm Doing Okay, Ma


Dear Ma,

I thought I should write you and let you know how I am doing. If your eyes are bothering you and you have trouble reading this letter I’m certain Yasna Kivrush will be able to read it to you.

I have two warriors who are my main teachers... my ‘Zon’ and they say I am doing well. The one’s name is the surdeniliarch Ilax and the other – mama you’ll think it’s funny but his name is mine... he’s named after da too...

I am carefully tending da’s grave, every day since I am here, and my one teacher insists that I continue school other than war-school, so I am learning Nadumarian and Rumon both, on top of better Milar.

Werfas is becoming my wing-brother... sort of, because we’re truly not old enough to swear that oath but he’s already stopped me doing a couple of rash things. There are some of the students at the Sword Hall who are good to be with and when I have some time we have tea together on the mountain.

Ma, you know how the world opens up when you sit on the edge of the canyon? When you can look away down the river so far below you feel like a bird and then away away down the valley? The mountain is like that, but instead of white and red and black edged in sun, it’s green and soft and full of water. Water everywhere instead of confined to stone walls, with white plumes of dust blowing off the tops to sift down to its brown and wrinkled surface.

The mountains are like a green blanket, rucked up as if there were a whole family of giants sleeping under them. You can almost see the outline of an arm, or a shoulder, where the founders blasted the spikes of tsingy down and made these valleys. When the light hits it just right it’s a woman. 

You can see the sparkles of the water falling from the sky sometimes even in the daylight.  Ilax says that one day we will have seas that stay in place all year instead of swap from north to south.  Once we have enough water from the moon.

I finally believe it.  In the desert it's hard to imagine.  It seems impossible there.  Here it's like the water and the green are spreading, slowly, burying the white sand, and locking it down away from where it can hurt people.

Sometimes I imagine the mountains as if they were the sea. I’ve never seen the sea, at the pole.  But I suppose we see it all as it heads south in the rains and then north again in the fall. But people describe both that place and the white desert like a sea.

I’m sitting on the Viltaria ancestor stones to write this, and a ferret – an offering left here -- is playing around my feet. No my knees. No, my shoulders... my head... my feet again... you know how they move. Very funny.

Ma, I’m eating really well... not to worry... there’s a place here with a cook by the name of Brakayus -- and yes, he’s a Lainz/Milar citizen -- who cooks a lot of good Lainz food and and I’ve grown a full handspan and not one with fingers closed, either! My one Zon tells me I’m going to be as tall or taller than da was, if I keep growing like this.

I’m probably going to be here in Milar for at least another year, maybe two, before I can take my white-staff. It’s not the end of warrior training, not really but it’s the most obvious mark of mastery.

I hope you are well and happy, Mama. Two years isn’t so long. I’ll be home and be able to apply to be a ‘feather-spitter’ and buy us a little loggia all our own. Maybe I’ll be able to afford to marry soon and get started on making you a grandma. Haraklez, the surdeniliarch’s daughter – a nice girl, ma, you’d like her – she says she thinks I will be a ‘catch’ one day. These Milari, they are so blunt.

Oh, the Nadumar ambassador is coming in to Viltaria... I can see the parade from here. Did you know they have these feather monstrosities of birds that are even bigger than war-birds? But they’re not meat eaters. Each one can carry two men, ma, a driver and a passenger trying not to look like he’s about to slide off the bird’s bum.

Ma, I’m not explaining well, but everything is going just perfectly. Better than I could’ve imagined or dreamed before I left Lainz the city.

I cannot imagine anything that could disturb my life and I’m really glad of it! When life is good it should stay that way!
I need to go. All my love under Light and Dark.

Your son,

Kyrus

No comments:

Post a Comment