Thursday, October 2, 2014

83 - This Trial is Not In Session



“I, Legal Machine 8, by the Corporate Space Constitution and Legal Advisory Board, open this trial, with all data so far presented.  Prime Shareholder Perrin Thurmontaler III, you are charged with two counts of attempted murder by your son, Perrin Thurmontaler IV. You are charged with attempted murder of One point two million people. You are charged with crimes against Sentients under the United Planets Constitution and the Federation of Coalitions. You are charged with a class-action suit for breach of contract.  I file recognition that you are currently holding a Machine sentient, named ‘Glass Mountain’ hostage and are continuing to deny this investigation access to relevant data, thus I add a Sentient kidnapping charge.”

A voice out of the air.  “I, Rasheduzzaman Alawahli, CEO of the Eastern Trading Company, so witness.”

Another voice from one of the shuttles.  The guns swivelled to target Perrin where he sat, apparently serene.  Suddenly the cheerful paint job didn’t look so sweet.  “I, Company Marine Commander Joseph Kamen, testify that this man, Perrin Thurmontaler III is currently resisting arrest.”

“Filed.  Perrin Thurmontaler III you cannot resist arrest forever.  Give yourself up to this court.”

The old man on his throne smiled.  “I close this trial. We are no longer in session, Legal Machine 8. This is my world.  You are hardly going to arrest me from my own throne.  My word is the law here.”  He raised one finger and suddenly all access to the solar system’s central core was cut off.  The shuttles slammed into lock-down, the cloaking device on the Eastern executive shut off, leaving the blinding white suit revealed, on the ramp to her yacht. All robotics, all the bags, froze where they were and several aliens, with bio-enhancements collapsed, squealing. “No one outside this building will be able to record what happens here. Your fancy centrally controlled equipment is cut off.  The transport Spines will continue loading and no one will have a clue that anything but the reunion of a pair of old friends is going on.”

He brought up the image of the Contract in hologram over his throne, large enough for them all to read. “I cannot kidnap my own machine, that I bought, paid for, and reprogrammed.  Glass Mountain is wholey mine, purchased hundreds of years before this ‘Machine Sentients and Independence’ movement began. It is not self aware and thus is not eligible for any kind of independence from me.

"The serfs and all their descendents on the planet were all in breach of contract. Petra, Gregori and Nadia all broke their word to me, first.” He laughed, and coughed up phlegm. “That allows any retaliatory response from me, as legitimate.  I merely changed their water delivery schedule.”

He turned to the Immoderates who stood at his back.  “Confine them all.  Machines and biologicals. Every one.”

“As you command, Prime.”

No comments:

Post a Comment