Thursday, May 1, 2014

17 - Sing Them On, Properly




Hara watched with growing horror, through the code link that Werfas and Kyrus had throw her. *This is hideous! How old is this girl?*

*I do not have that information, great-grand daughter by marriage.* Diryish’s recording replied steadily.  *I am only the compiled recordings of the Emperor and have no security functions. I can only advise.*

*Yes, yes I understand that you didn’t want to step on your grandson’s toes, but I need advice now!  And why don’t you have any information about the Hippifrei?  Weren’t you planning to absorb them back into the greater society?  Either by conquest or persuasion?*

*I advise you commandeer several of young Kyrus’s bees and set them after the fleeing Hippifrei.  They will likely tell you more than all my damaged files can tell you.  If they are not discovered then we will have the foundation for a Hive with the Hippifrei.*

*Yes, great grandfather.  Thank you.*

It only took a moment for her to link up with a dozen bees actually trailing behind Kyrus as he and Tzar soared over where Alissa’s monster ran. As they buzzed after the fleeing Hippifrei, Hara tried to convince several of the Hive to attach to Alissa herself, but they refused, or were unable.  *No password.*

“Adevar,” The voice came to Hara even as she recorded the type of security Alissa seemed to have around her.  “Check to make sure she’s not left a few bones to follow us.”

“Already checking, Herdmaster.  No jokes this time.  I think she’s totally focused on the Lainz… and their prince.  They’re new.  At least we won’t be killing our own.  She’ll either overstep and kill someone important, or try.  Or slaughter too many and they’ll take her down like the rotten bone she is.  And I say that as her uncle.”

“I’m sorry, Haglem.”

“Check again.  Suskr!  Check our back-trail for Alissa surprises!”

“Yes, Herdmaster.  She changed my beloved.  His grave-work is no longer ringing true.  He’s ringing badly and his spirit is unhappy.”

“We’ll see if we can sooth their spirits once we stop.  I think all of our beloveds were injured being forced into that obscene chimera.”

“Herdmaster, we don’t have breath to sing them whole…”

“I know.  Once we’re far enough away from my niece we’ll rest.”

Hara felt as though her ears were cringing as she listened.  *Haraklez,* Diryish-r said. *Just set code to record it for you.  You can always retrieve it later.*

She peeled out of code, leaving the Hippifrei in their distress in Alissa’s wake gratefully leaving the bees behind to faithfully record.

As she did she could hear the Herdmaster say, quietly to his friend. “Now we’ll be able to sing my sister and her husband on, properly.”

1 comment:

  1. How utterly grotesque. She is beyond any control or sane influence? Shudder

    ReplyDelete