Tuesday, July 24, 2012

72 - 'You Made My Inamour Cry'


“Shion!” Kyrus senior's call cracked out, stopping his class mid sword-stroke. Ky, facing Haraklez, stepped back, let the sword vanish as she did and they nodded to each other.  Werfas and Verpiccaus stepped apart.  Sweat ran down Ky'ss face and back and he was trembling in every limb but everyone seemed to have a smile on their faces.  This was the good part of this weird training, that his father had learned and added to his own over the past ten years.

If my Da was a great champion then, he's downright scary now.

"Everyone.  Outside.  We're running to the white spire on the other side of the valley.  Quickly now." He ran them out of the school and down the valley to where it hit the tsingy, though nowhere near the road. The air was cool and damp, the sun bright in the pale sky.  It was a high water day and no one’s skin tightened or cracked in the outside without filters. He had everyone kneel at the base of the pale white spire of roce, smooth and sharp enough to cut the wind off the mountain. It was also taller than the school.

“Today you are going to attempt to climb this spike, freehand.”  He waved at the spire next to them.  “It looks impossible, but you see up there?”  He pointed to the top of the spire, that was perhaps a hand-span wide, where a long, trailing white banner blew out with a crackling sound from that point.  “I put it there myself, last night.”

Behind Kyrus senior, Zon Elemfias’s inamour, Oash, rounded the meadow on the road, and stopped to look up at them.  She set her basket on the stone and watched them.  Then she left the road to climb up toward them.  Ky closed his eyes. Oh, no.  Not again. People have been going out of their way to yell at Da pretty steadily, even since the Unity debates.

“Kyrus Talain,” she snapped, coming up behind him.  He rose to his feet and turned to face her.

“Yes, Nasera.” His voice was very calm.

“You might have calmed everyone else down, with your explanations and your apologies for your faking your own death but I’m still not finished saying my peace to your face, you know.  You made my inamour cry.  She grieved for you for years.”

Kyrus twitched a little but nodded.  “I understand that my fear-based decision hurt people...”

“Just shut up and listen!  It’s part of you paying for it!  You agreed!  It was not a decision that  I thought a grown man, a warrior and a champion of your ‘oh-so-honourable’ people would make!  You truly believed that your parents would rather you were dead than gone over to the Milari?  You figured that dead was better than with a partner the same sex you are?  You know... there are letters from Lainz to people here... word gets back... you DO know that your Immutable, Radiance, Queen-Bee, the-sun-shines-out-his-ass decendant of a stinking OWNER has now declared that men and men and women with women is no longer an exposable offence?  Hmmm?”  She poked a finger into his chest and all he did was rock back a bit. “Where was your courage?  Why didn’t you just up and spit them all in the eye?”

She stopped, hands on her hips, waiting for him to answer.  Ky just tried to be very unnoticeable though he could see Ver kind of grinning... even if he’d become a sort of friend since the avalanche he was still a bit of an ass when it came to Lainz/Milar differences.  Haraklez and Werfas were just listening.  He felt so embarrassed for his father.  But it had been a dumb decision.

“Naser Oash.”  He looked her straight in the eyes. “I was in a very low state.  My general had not only put me and my unit in a near suicidal position, he ransomed me back thinking that he could rape me as he wished since he thought I was dying.  He did not wish to take my no for an answer.”

Ky’s mouth dropped open, then shut with a click.  He’d only surmised the possibility from what his Da had said, but never thought he’d hear him say it so straight.  So like a Milar -- and to admit to being despondent?  Just... admit it?

Oash looked taken aback by that but before she could open her mouth, he continued.  “My best friend had just sacrificed his life to let me fake my death so I could be with Ilax and let everyone get over my ruined life, as I saw it.  I was badly injured and might never fight again. My life was destroyed, my reputation in ashes, my country would best be served – as I saw it... by my death.  My life was worth nothing to anyone and would only bring grief to my parents, shame to my country, and agony to me.  I was in that state for quite some time and it was only due to your zon on the mountain that I was convinced otherwise.” He shifted where he stood, his hands clenched hard behind his back, and continued.  “That still does not make it right.  I was a craven then and no reason will make it right, but for the pain I caused your wife, and others who were my friends... my once enemies... I am sorry.  I will do my best to hear you no matter how many times you feel the need to tell me.” His voice was steady, even though he'd gone an ashy colour.

Oash stood for a long moment after that.  “Kyrus... aw, shit on my ancestors...” she flung her arms right around him where he stood hard enough that he had to step back to catch both of them, his arms coming up around her. “I’m sorry.”—“I’m sorry.”—“I’m sorry.”  Both of them said over each other.   

Neither of them was weeping, for which Kyrus was profoundly grateful but they stayed knotted together longer than was comfortable... at least for him.  They seemed fine with it. It was good as well that Ver’s grin had fallen off his face and broken on the stone they were kneeling on.  He looked thoughtful rather than smirking, now.

She let go, finally, buffeted Kyrus senior on the shoulder.  “I’m interrupting your class.  Sorry.  We need to talk, ‘Fias, Stey and I and you.”

“I’ll come around to the school at your convenience then.”

She nodded firmly, spun on her heel and went back down to pick up her basket.

Kyrus turned to his students, still kneeling.  “As you can see, any warrior can find they are at the end of their strength and their wits.  At that point, even the best of friends or enemies cannot save you from yourself.  So.  This exercise we will do today is against your weakest part.”

2 comments:

  1. I'm having serious difficulty understanding that interaction. There were three people, two male one female, and they all said some things... But I can't tell who said or did what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope this makes it a little more clear.

    ReplyDelete