Wednesday, May 23, 2012

31 - In the Shake of a War Bird's Tail


Kyrus didn’t leave go of the rope until he was at the correct row and ducked into the tunnel of snow to the door.  He was used to the weather enough now that he was almost hot by the time he hung his scarf up on his hook and pulled the liners out of his boots.

The inside of his coat was soaked. He had a sore spot on the back of his head. It’s not... it wasn’t my war.  My father... he was an honourable warrior but... they wanted to kill me.  Murder.  Like they were Lainz.  I’ve been here long enough now that I’m startled.  It’s the first time I’ve encountered Milari thugs.

He sat down and checked to find out if he had any strains or sprains but his heavy coat and leggings had saved him both from the beating and his own fighting back.   The worst he felt physically was the wet, the parts that were chaffing.  I’m... He took a deep breath.  I’m a black staff, not a white staff.  I’ve gotten into knife and rock fights.  Set up toxic sand traps for other gangs.  I’ve never been part of trying to beat someone to death and leave them out for the sun and the wind.  These oh so generous, perfect Milari have a nasty streak in them.

“Kyrus?”  It was Haraklez peeking in from the main room.   

“Is that you back?”

“Yes.  I’m a little late, sorry.”

“Weather's bad. No problem.  My papa would like to talk to you, if you have a moment.”

“Sure.”  He got to his feet, creaking.  “Let me just get some dry clothes on.  The snow out there is brutal.” I’m not going to scream like a bakon gutted.  They tried to kill me.  They didn’t succeed.  I think Verp was one of them and isn’t his nose going to be smashed flat by that particular change in vector?  I’ll walk into school tomorrow acting like nothing at all happened.  Dark deny them.

“You can use the kid’s room to change.  They’re out at a friends place.” She leaned in and put a bundle of dry clothes for him on the end of the bench.

“Certainly.  I’ll be out in the shake of a war bird’s tail.”

_____________

I'm posting short tonight because I've been driving all day.  The Mitsubishi... on the hook has a dead battery and is slightly loose on the trailer.

I'm driving my husband home... I may not post tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment