Tuesday, June 18, 2013

81 - Dream Carnival Garden



Terence turned over and punched his pillow, hard, several times, though it certainly didn’t deserve such punishment. He had to give Gerald an answer.  

He knew his brother well enough.  He wouldn’t quit with this idea of sending his two lab rats and his little brother haring out into the sand to some unknown place.

Terry tried.  He really tried to be good.  Weren't these strangers enemies of Xanadu?  The boys… they really were just boys… were spies for someone and that they were enemies and… and…

Gerry had brought him into the laboratory, in secret, to see the young men.  They looked like Illiterates.  They looked like most of the servants he’d grown up with.  They didn’t look evil.  What haunted Terry more than the tormented look on the older boy’s face, was the blissful smile on the other one.  It looked frail and fragile, with as much depth and opacity as a windowpane. He looked like a doll, with every emotion erased from his face.

“The ones we worked on, before.  Before they died, they were struggling to get back things they’d lost when we erased their rebelliousness.” Gerald’s eyes were haunted.  “Their faces would twitch into emotions as if playing with them, trying them on until they found one that almost fit.  But it was all masks.  They were disconnected from those emotions.  Their creativity is gone.  Their resourcefulness.  Their autonomy, really.  They sit until they are told to do something.”

Terry leaned forward to the screen.  He couldn’t take his eyes off the young man in the laboratory cage, still struggling to distance himself from this crack-brained scheme. “Gerald, this is not a good idea.”

He couldn’t get the image of the boys out of his head, even as he lay on his clean pillows, in a cool, firmly sheeted bed.   “Prime wouldn’t like it. Prime wouldn’t like it,” the younger boy kept saying and the older one… “I’m myself. I’m myself.  I’m still myself.”

“I’m myself,” Terry said in his dream.  He dusted off his gloves, straightened his cravat.  He was at the carnival garden, an indulgence he’d only seen the once, like any child of the Second class, since it was usually reserved for Firsts and their children.  His cane tapped on the cobbles as he strolled in the rose and primrose lined paths.

The carousel ahead of him was blue and white and gold, almost blinding as it whirled around in its stately course.  The ship swing was off to his left and there was an artificial pond… actual surface water... on the other side of the lilies where paddle boats shaped like gigantic white swimming birds floated slowly around their track.

He was just wondering how many litres of water that really was when suddenly he was snatched up from behind.  He dropped his cane and tried to yell but by the time he found his voice he’d been set down, surprisingly carefully on the neck of a gaudily dressed elephant, behind a veiled person.
A snowy white ferret climbed up on the shoulder and chattered at him. *Caught you! Found you!*

In his dream his heart contracted and he made to leap off into the flower bushes, but the elephant still had him by one ankle and held him before the man… woman?... driving the elephant.

“Please stop that.  I’m not from Prime, I’m looking for Terence Cameron.  Terence Charles Arthur Cameron.  I met his program on the moon, looking for me.  We almost met, the once.  I’m Haraklez Vania aht Ruikart.  We need to talk.”

“I’m… I’m Terry Cameron… look I realize this is a dream but could you put me down?  This is terribly humiliating.”

“Oh, sorry.  I had to fix what Tizrav…” he (she) waved at the ferret now bouncing on the pachyderm’s head.  “fooled you into thinking, and I couldn’t let you run for it.”

She let Terry down and the elephant waited, making an odd chuffing noise as it slowly swayed back and forth, while he straightened his clothing.  “What an odd dream this is,” he said.

“Yes… it’s the only way I can talk openly to you in the code without having Prime’s security turn your brain into bleeding mush and me into a mindless husk."

No comments:

Post a Comment