Wednesday, July 23, 2014

42 - The Moon Shot is in Two Days




Terence couldn’t cross his arms any tighter across his chest even as he pretended boredom, watching the unfolding drama  on the edge of the continent.  *Agador… your argument is invalid.*

*No.  The child has all the codes, stolen from Prime a thousand years ago.  I checked everything she’d show me.  It matches the data base that Station has access to and I don’t anymore.  You need her with you on the moon shot.*

*I don’t want her on the moon shot.  It’s going to be perilous enough without this… baby monsterling, death-building, bone-loving, barbarous…*

*--- If I might interrupt you,* Agador sounded almost stuffy.  *That is a baseless, emotional rant.  I do understand that you don’t like her and that she makes you nervous even if she is only a child.  First of all she is female, secondly she is completely ‘spoiled’ as I believe you said. Thirdly she is ghoulish in your eyes, correct?*

Terence chewed on the inside of his cheek as the Immoderate on the screen berated the Illiterate boy standing before him.  *Correct.*

*That’s all emotional.  I am not as powerful a system as Mom or One, but even I recognize the human reaction.  It is not logical or sensible.*

Terence’s answer was a mental sniff.  Kyrus turned away from where the Illiterate was being ordered to his knees in the road.  “Terence… might it be possible to see these men as prisoners to be rescued from Prime rather than invaders and our enemies?”

“I don’t know.  They’re Illiterates and I have no idea how an Illiterate thinks.  You would be better off asking Mom… I suppose there would be discontented lower classes, just as my brother and I were.  The problem is finding out which ones are fanatically faithful and which ones would run to you with open arms.”

His Radiance looked at him, mildly disapproving.  “I’m sorry.  I’m not an Illiterate.  I truly don’t know!” He found himself blushing and stammering as if he were defending an oral examination to a professor.  “I never thought about it.”

“That’s all right,” Kyrus said, quietly.  “I do want you to think about it.  My son?  I have another job for you.  You fitted yourself into Milar life… perhaps you should explain this cultural feat to Terence?  Hara, and Shashi… please see if we can get more recording devices into their settlement.  If we can subvert them, I’d rather do that, than kill them.  But not using those toxins Prime used on one of our own.”
Terence bowed in the face of command.  It wasn’t as if he would have to talk to the over-muscled boy for long… the moon-shot attempt would be in only two days.  He found himself glad that the protocol that Gerald had developed for Prime, to modify people’s loyalty, wasn’t going to be used by Lainz.  The boy spy was still recovering and had lost a noticeable portion of his intelligence.

“Of course, Your Radiance.”  The look on Kyrus the younger’s face was clear as a bell.  He didn’t want to do this anymore than Terence did.

On the screen, the Immoderate turned his horse’s head and road back toward the settlement, cavalierly riding through the flock of sheep, scattering it once more. The men on the ground couldn’t even protest as their dirt and blood-caked animals broke and ran again. The boy on his knees didn’t get up immediately and when he did it was slow.  He searched for a rock on the ground and tossed it into the pitter field, flinching at the sudden emergence of clashing jaws.

“Two Hundred, can you get a bee or a beetle onto the boy they left?”

No comments:

Post a Comment