Friday, September 13, 2013

A Slightly Different Book - Chapter's One and Two

I am giving myself a break because I'm exhausted, even though it was Michael who had surgery on his hand.  This piece is the second book in the series that was just re-launched in a new edition on Smashwords.  The book is Sparks in the Wind.

This book is called 'Whose Candle Is The Sun' and takes place in the other world.  

Graphic Warning
__________________

 
‘Whose Candle is the Sun”
#1
I watch the funeral flames wreath around what was left, the skull bursting with a steamy pop that signals the old monster is finally gone. He’s gone. My crazy brothers are gone. Mother droops artistically under her widow’s weeds, all ostentatious Dowager Empress in mourning for her beloved husband. He beat and abused her as he did us. The feckless, indulged, drunken young sot who is my idiot brother stands, blinking at the flames as if he cannot believe that he’s free. The old man is dead, Arnziel.
I am not free. Even with the old man dead, he lives in my mind. He lives behind my eyes. I will never be free of him. In the years that he tortured me, he gouged out a space there, gathered all my evil together in there as a most comfortable nest for himself. I gave up my soul to him and his whip and his pain and his rape years ago and he made me a pimp for Scorching to the deepest pits of hell.
The fire hisses as I turn away, releasing everyone to scuttle into their gilt apartments in what is now my court. At least after the official period of mourning. Vipers. Scum in high, red heels and silk and brocade. I’ll make them remember the old man. Oh, yes. They’ll compare our reigns, they'd pick apart every moment, every breath. They are all dogs that roll onto their backs and widdle in fear to power.
I will be in mourning on the battlefield. The enemies of my Empire will see me wreak my mourning for my father out on them. So funny. I killed the old man and I will pretend to have loved him all these years. Behind my eyes I can feel his glee, my glee, at the lie. Who am I trying to fool? My glee. I am become the old monster.
**
I wake in the cool darkness of this dungeon where my captors have me incarcerated. The nightmare of the funeral fades slowly. It was better than the never ending nightmares of searching for my mother, searching for safety, hearing someone weeping for me. I thought I’d buried those dreams under the scars in my mind years ago.
But these people. These vile, petty people who don’t have the guts the God gave a woman, they locked me up here in the lamplight in the basement where I can’t see any natural thing, any true light, not a ray of the God’s own divine Sun. I am dying here. These stones press into me, closer and darker, hammering spikes of despair and the Demon’s darkness into my spirit.
Help me, Burning One, Tiger Master save me from these Demon-eaten, Drowned horrors who keep me here in silence and lamplight. Out of my depths of despondency and desolation I cry to the divine, and thus break my vow to my father. In anguish greater than any inflicted on me before, I am reduced to pleading with the Deities of my innocent childhood, before pain made me a man.
Of course I taught what I learned. Over the years I passed on my father’s wisdom. As any child who screams in uncontrolled rage and stamps its feet, ultimately acknowledges the astuteness of the parent’s acumen, I acknowledged father’s understanding and passed that wisdom and strength on.
At least my captors are not cruel enough to leave me in the dark. But I might as well be in my grave here. I breathe.
I drive the nib of the pen into one finger so that the prick of pain and my own tiny red reflection in the drop of blood reassures – or horrifies me – that I still live.
My cell. It is four steps across one direction and ten in the other. A bed with a peasant’s rope mattress, and feather bed upon it. A feather bed for a coverlet. Two feather pillows. A peasant’s bed. The bed might as well be made of nails for all the comfort it gives me. A table with turned legs and no sharp edges. A chair.
The table is fixed tight to the bars of the cell since the light from the lamp falls upon this page only from the shelf in the hallway, well out of my reach. Even if I were to be answered by the Most Holy God, he would not have been able to burn me out of here. The flame of the lamp never wavers, much less answers me.
To the left there had been a cellar window, now bricked up as far as I can see. To the right was the second door, just as locked as my cell door. There is a pass-through in my door so that a tray can be rotated through in such a way that I never touched the guard.
Outside that hall door, that second locked door, is always a guard. They’d told me my guards were deaf and mute. Whether they’d told the truth I could not tell. They are disciplined enough not to flinch if I made a sudden noise so perhaps they’d told the truth. They... them... his wife, that muscle-bound warrior with female parts and that dirty Cylak, who explained everything.
Cowards. They knew what a warrior I might be. They knew enough not to try and fight me. If the milk-sop, sucking on his momma’s teat, diaper swaddled, beloved, oh-so-perfect leader of their civilized world was anything like me they were correct to be so very careful.
If he were anything like me. That’s enough to make me laugh. Who is to hear? I write that and lay my pen down and laugh and laugh until I roll off my chair and onto the floor, holding myself together with my arms. I laugh until I am tired, then I lie on the floor, limp. Do I even care what the low-born peasant guard thinks?
Master of Lightning, what nightmare must I have done for this to happen to me? I suspect that the much reviled Gods might exist since I am where I am. I have no other explanation for this. My tutor, dried up old stick, quick with a rod, always insisted that the simplest explanation was the most likely.
How else could I have come to this twisted, evil, benighted and Demon eaten world where my Empire does not even exist?
#2
The click of a key in the hall door brought Ahrimaz Kenaçyen, one-time Fire Lord, Emperor of the Dominions and Possessions of Inné, to his feet. It wasn’t a meal. The putative mid-day meal had just been cleared away.
The guard let the robed man in, closed the door behind him without a sound except for the click of the lock. He wore the distinctive multicolour, predominantly green robe of an Imaryan healer. His brown hair, kept back off his face in one of their patterned braids fell to his waist.
Ahrimaz lunged for him, stretching his arm through the bars fast as a striking cobra, his narrow features twisted in rage. “You stinking anal-smear! You dare show your smug and oh-so-superior pacifist, I-don’t-even-kill-the-plants-I-eat pride to me? You supercilious, arrogant, condescending, patronizing, toffee-nosed, fit for nothing but spending my seed into every hole you have and every new one I can cut, haughty, full of yourself, self-righteous sack of Scorching shit! I’ll kill you. You and every one of your people. I did it in my world and I’ll do it here!”
“I invaded your oh-so-sacred island and slaughtered every single soul there, many with my own hands! I raped until I could not any more and then used my weapons and not one of them did anything but kneel and accept. They didn’t even scream! Only the babies who had not yet been inculcated into your foul, weak-willed, spineless grass eating cult screamed in protest before they died.”
The calm face of the Imaryan didn’t change as he stood just beyond Ahrimaz’s reaching fingertips as he listened to the vileness pouring out of the man in the cage. He waited quietly.
Ahrimaz raged and swore and turned to strain one arm the extra bit that might give him grip on the healer, but all he could touch was the heat of his cheek with the tip of his longest finger and he could not even dig a scratch onto that hateful face. When, at last, he'd gone hoarse and then silent and finally merely clinging to the bars to stand, glaring, the healer spoke softly.
“My name is Limyé Ianma. I am the physician of the family of the Hand of the People of Inné. As well as my posting here, I have a life-long calling attempting to discern the roots of illnesses of consciousness. If you will speak to me, I will be able to compare you to your double, whose care I have had this past ten years.”
Ahrimaz's voice was reduced to a harsh rasp. “No. Find someone who cares to help you, you turd under my horse's hooves.”
“It may be,” the Imaryan continued. “That I might be the only company that can bear being anywhere near you. None of the family, on my recommendation, will speak to you.”
“Unless you can find a way to put me back in the world I belong piss on you. Piss on your demon-fucked 'Hand of the Lunatic Mob' even if he is me in this world.”
“Very well.” Limyé passed a hand through the barred window in the locked door and waved to get one of his guard's attention and they let him out.








No comments:

Post a Comment