Tuesday, September 25, 2012

114 - Doing Squat But Bad



 Kyrus sat on his bedroll.  Thankfully, it wasn’t leather, though the drawstring of its leather carry-sack and the mouth of it were crumbling.  It was the remnant of the continuing mindless attack on any kind of protein that carried traces of his touch that had pointed out that it was a focussed attack.  All the straps on the saddle, the saddle itself, the hood on the bird, all of his leathers in his things had disintegrated, until Werfas’s clinery had blown the attack to bits.

I wanted to make a name for myself.  I wanted to be a warrior.  I’ve worked and studied and accepted all kinds of weird and odd things to get that name, and I find out I didn’t need to.  My father would have acknowledged me without me being a good warrior.  But I wouldn’t have found him, still alive, if I hadn’t done what I did.

The Emir-al and the Amir would have found me, in the Basin, and Milar wouldn’t have been involved. Da might have lived and died in that cave without anybody knowing it.  He sighed and poked at the embers of the fire with a stick. 

Hara lay asleep, rolled in hers across the fire with stepda’s bedroll empty behind.  Ilax was taking watch.  Everybody not on watch was asleep, like he should be.  Since Milar, he’d slept well.  It was at home that he didn’t sleep.

The spring running through the cave ran slow enough that stars and falling stars reflected in the pool they were camped near.  It was so funny, the warbirds that the Emir-al had brought weren’t used to all this surface water, even after weeks in Milar, and lifted their feet in funny dancing pats at the surface and plunged their whole heads into it if you let them.  They were all staked out with a chain run through their leg bands and asleep too, heads under wings or buried in neck fluff till all you could see was tips of their meat-hook beaks and squinched shut eyes.  One or two even gave off little tweeting snores more suited to a bird the size of a cat or a fluffy, instead of something the size of a man.

Who am I kidding?  The avalanche would have brought him out, whether I was there or not.  I might have gotten killed in the Basin, forced to join a boy-sex gang, or fighting not to.  Oltarios might have set me up as his secret mistress, until the law was repealed and then – he was a decent man – maybe acknowledged me as his male zardukar, even if I wasn’t trained at the school.  I wonder if they are accepting boys now?  I don’t imagine Mother Thriti would be so bigoted that she wouldn’t train boys for sex.

Most people don’t know about the secret classes you can attend, if you’re veiled like a girl.  But its dangerous.  Boys disappeared, probably raped and thrown off the edge if they were caught.  That’s what the gangs believed.  Safety in numbers.

And now?  Now I’m Siwion and my da is probably Kraganzh?  That’s scary as a world with no water at all.  That’s a scary as finding out that the CEO has found out that we’re all alive and contenders for ownership.
He’d probably pound us flat with ice from the moon.  He doesn’t want us alive.  The bombardment is probably enough to break through all the caves in the badlands and all the valleys in Milar are vulnerable.  Nadumar, Rumon, Charnan, Hippifrey, and Trovi... everybody’s vulnerable to gigantic chunks of solid water falling out of the sky.  We have no way to stop it.

I wonder if His Radiance has a way of stopping it?  His Radiance.  He’s my great-grand da.  Um. That’s just weird. 

I’m going to have to walk up to him and say ‘Hi, great-grand da, I hear people are trying to kill us to inherit the Great Hive and all of Lainz?’  No.  I can’t even imagine walking into the Sunrise Loggia.  I used to sit and look up at the big gates in the sun that glittered hard enough to make my eyes hurt.  You could see the tops of gigantic trees over the walls.  Trees that held water in the city.  Baskets and balconies crammed with flowers and bees, all part of making the planet good for us.  Plants and insects that turn this place into more like the home planet every day.

He lives there.  He’s the oldest man alive and I... what am I?  Kyrus Talain, the younger.  His blood.  They’re teaching me to do mandery.  I’m learning to be a warrior.  I’m my father’s son and HE has a reputation that any Basin rat would kill for.

He got great big brass ones he kin clang tagether w’ the Highest.  Endark!  Great big gold balls tah clang in any choob’s face ifn’ they give lip or hip. ‘n he’s hipper ‘n most.  He kin draw hip outta nuthin’ cut yah and let it go ‘fore yer red hitten the dirt an ‘vaporatin’.

His Radiance got even bigger uns. He kin hit yah w’ Hive ball size o’ birds wi’ all feather out.

Oh dark.  What am I going to do?  I'm nay siwion. Jess a Basin rat chitterin' flitterin'. They want me to be this prince, this siwion. I’d be inclined to just cut ‘em up tah bird feed, set new uns. Old uns doin’ squat but bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment